Friday, May 23, 2014

What radio show to listen to in Saudi Arabia

The World Chart Show logo blogging Dhahran Saudi Arabia
megaclubmusic.com
I honestly think that I'm the only one of my friends left that listens to the radio in the car. The compound has its own station 91.4 Studio 1 FM, and its Top 40 show is The World Chart Show. TWCS compiles a list of the top songs from around the world. Kinda cool that it's not just American music, although it basically means you get more from the UK.


Occasionally Latin American music and Caribbean/West African gets in there. The show used to be hosted by a couple called Ace and Joe, I don't know why they were booted off. They had a nice rapport. It wouldn't matter if they were getting old, it's not like you can see them right? I don't know, I was a kid when they used to host. I just really liked the sound of Ace and Joe and the World Chart Show. Has a nice cadence doesn't it?

Ace and Joe and the World Chart Show autographed photo blog
kevinmeetstars.blogspot.com
OK, now that I can see what they looked like, they're not bad looking! But maybe this is what they looked like when the program began. Anyways, now it's hosted by Lara Scott.

Modern Mom
I don't know, something seems to be missing? Maybe if the photo was in black and white and she was wearing a cool denim vest like Ace did. Either way, Lara does a good job of shouting out to her listeners from across the world. More than once I've heard her mention the show's Facebook friends from Saudi Arabia. Like I said, when it comes to Top 40 on the radio, this show is pretty much all you got over here. Tonight I heard her talk about a pair of fans from Qatif and she actually did a segment on the city. She discussed its history and attractions and even played a part of a song by Fairouz, one of the fans' favourite singers! Skip forward to 0:49 to hear her talk about the Shaaban sisters and their hometown.

                                            radioexpress.com

I honestly didn't know that Al-Qatif, as she calls it, had such an ancient history. I mean, I went there on a field trip in elementary school and we visited the souk, but that's about it. My family and I may be leaving Saudi in December so I've wanted to go again, but trying to get my dad to drive there is a Herculean task onto itself. Anyways, great job Lara. You're up there with Ace and Joe now!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Nadine!
    i was just googled Ace and Joe and tried to understand what was happened and where are they?

    Anyway, my search brought me here! you did a very good job to mention the famous show "the world chart show"

    This show always bring me back to the 90s just after the gulf war where the Armco Stereo 1 FM started i guess. There were many good memories back in the days

    Also i remember a radio show called " The Amazing 80s with MG Kelly" it was my favourite show but unfortunately that show no longer exist .....

    Thanks for sharing those nice memories...
    Fahad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fahad!

      Thanks for stopping by. I also remember hearing ads for MG Kelly's show "The Amazing '80s." You're right ,they don't have that show anymore, but they have a whole new station for what they call World Music. Sometimes I listen to that and I usually end up hearing K-pop or Latin music! Anyways, the radio was definitely a bigger part of the culture in Aramco in the 90s. I can't imagine that people listen to it as often anymore!

      Hope to see you around again soon,

      Nadine

      Delete
  2. Hi again!
    Speaking about the radio, I think Stereo 1FM and Stereo 2FM are the best in the world. Because they bring musing from different era during the day 70s,80s and classical. The only thing that i hope to find it in the Aramco stations is the Talkshows or Podcasts ... like the famous Canadian WireTap from CBC or This American Life.

    Anyway radio is sacred to me and i cannot start my day without listing to some music via radio whether in my car or in my SONOS home speakers

    Cheers!
    Fahad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      Yes it was good when we still got AFRTS and could listen to NPR shows like Car Talk. Although that show may have stopped anyways since one of the hosts died. But This American Life was pretty good too! Have you ever thought of starting your own podcast Fahad?

      Let me know if you ever need a guest!

      All the best,

      Nadine

      Delete
  3. G'day
    me doing podcast sounds good idea! :) me talking about planting, gaming, sport, movies, sitcoms, science and medicine but no politics lol

    How about if we can send an email to the people behind Stereo one FM asking for youth talk show based on local people?

    Cheers
    Fahad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey again

      Well I'm all for it Fahad! (And you're right, I don't think that anyone would get away with talking about politics in Saudi Arabia...)

      Let me know how it goes!

      Nadine

      Delete
  4. Busy week!

    Ok, to start i guess we need or if you could email Mr James Baker jimkellyonair@gmail.com from the radio station (see the web page)

    http://www.allaccess.com/hot-modern-ac/10-questions/archive/20987/10-questions-with-james-baker-jim-kelly

    Also join their informal Facebook page Aramco's Stereo 1 FM.

    and if you don't mind this is my twitter account @Fahad_mfg
    my email Fmg80s@gmail.com

    Cheers
    Fahad

    ReplyDelete