Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Home is where the food, I mean heart is

photograph of tabbouleh salad made by blogger Lauren Seip

OK. So obviously it's been difficult to visit exhibits which feature Arab art or to interview Arab comedians or radio show hosts while I live in this small city in Canada. So if I can't go out and experience the culture that I love, well then I guess I'll just have to recreate it somehow at home. And one of the ways I know how to do that is to make food!

I initially was going to go solo on my this, but then I thought of an old classmate that grew up with me in Saudi Arabia, who's a blogger herself. She writes at rural + mine, where I posted my own hummus recipe. Lauren's here blogging about tabbouleh, hummus's constant appetizer companion.

photograph of rural+mine blogger Lauren Seip

Before we learn how to make tabbouleh, a traditional Arabic dish that's kind of like a salad, let's get to know her a little bit first.

What is your blog about?
rural + mine is a lifestyle blog that explores innovative and unique ways to live. This blog is a twist of urban flair, but also an exploration of the stunning Southwest lifestyle. I believe the Southwest really is a magnificent region, and I believe not everyone is aware of the culture, cuisine, and landscapes New Mexico has to offer. I also enjoy sharing my favorite trends that bring a more urban feel to the blog.

What inspired you to write it?
I majored in print journalism from the University of Oklahoma so I’ve always had a passion for writing. I started rural + mine as creative outlet to experience and try new adventures. I absolutely love creating a unique blog that I hope people enjoy reading!

How does it compare to other lifestyle blogs?
It’s funny- I actually never looked or read other people’s blogs until I launched my own. From what I’ve noticed, my blog can compare to other lifestyle blogs because I write about a handful of trending topics that hopefully catch the readers’ attention. I write about fashion, recipes, health and wellness, and my stories of traveling. My blog does have a unique twist to it because I explore the southwestern lifestyle since I live in New Mexico.

Why did you choose to write about tabbouleh?
I actually was born overseas- living in Saudi Arabia for 14 years because my dad worked for the oilfield industry. It was a beautiful place to grow up and I cherish those memories. I remember constantly eating taboulleh when I lived there! It’s so delicious, but also such a healthy and easy dish to make.

What’s your favorite part to write about? Fashion? Food?
It’s hard to choose one topic that I love to write about! I try to cover new, exciting ideas each week to have a variety of content on my blog. I do love writing about fashion because that is something that is interesting to me. I enjoy reading about the latest trends and discovering what is the hottest style.

I miss my childhood home every day. There are many sights of Saudi Arabia I remember - like sparkling gold necklaces hanging behind windows in Al-Khobar, herds of camels roaming the dunes as we drove to the beach, and colorful recipes that would fill a room with exotic smells. Speaking of recipes, here is a tabbouleh recipe that I love to cook. I remember eating tabbouleh all of the time in Saudi Arabia; this is such a healthy, yet simple dish to whip up. 

استمتع

Tabbouleh Recipe
Ingredients

2 cups fine burghul (cracked wheat)
4 cubed tomatoes
1 cup finely chopped parsley
2 tbsp. finely chopped mint
Chopped red onion
3 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Preparation
Cover burghul wheat with boiling water then bring down to simmer for 14 minutes. Let stand for 30 minutes until water is absorbed. If necessary, drain and dry with paper towels. Add tomatoes, onions, parsley, and mint. Add remaining ingredients and refrigerate. Toss well before serving!

photograph of tabbouleh salad made by blogger Lauren Seip

You know my mom loved eating this back home (and still does) so I think this would be a good recipe to keep in my back pocket for when I see her next. Thanks for stopping by Lauren and I can't wait to test this recipe out! Now who wants to be my guinea pig?

No comments:

Post a Comment